Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Reading criminal law

I’ve started with Principles of Criminal Law by Andrew Ashworth. I have to say that I really enjoy it. It starts a bit quickly for me, perhaps because I do not have much of a grounding in the subject, but after about fifty pages it really brings everything together. I think it approaches the material in a good manner based on a reasonable set of principles. I have to say that I am very much in agreement with Ashworth’s views on the need to limit the state's power via criminal law. He gives a number of arguments on how certain measure seem to undermine the autonomy of the individual. I will keep moving forward with it for a few more chapters. I had to put Zander aside for a few days as it was starting to weigh on me.

With luck I should get a letter this week from the university with my acceptance. Apparently then I need to write back and confirm as well as pay my initial fees. Once I do that I will get the infamous 'box'. Supposedly a back-breaking package containing a number of books, study guides, CD's, passwords, etc. that we form the basis of my studies. I have a feeling that I will need to get cracking to reinforce those shelves on my bookcase soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment